As with most of the soundtracks to Tarantino films, the playlist interweaves both music and dialogue from the movie. It consists of 9 standalone songs, another 4 with the introductory dialogue from the movie, and 4 classic dialogue-only tracks from the movie. Importantly, the dialogue-only tracks include Samuel L. Jackson’s ‘Ezekiel 25:17’ and John Travolta’s ‘Royale with Cheese’. The Pulp Fiction Soundtrack is worth owning if only for the purpose of listening to that dialogue over and over. The Pulp Fiction Soundtrack reached number 21 on the Billboard 200, the highest for any of the Tarantino films.
Classic songs on the soundtrack are Dusty Springfield’s ‘Son of a Preacher Man’ and the Urge Overkill cover of Neil Diamond’s ‘Girl, You’ll Be a Woman Soon’, the single of which reached number 59 on the Billboard 200. The track listing features a mix of musical genres, particularly surf music but also soul, pop and rock n roll. Technically called ‘Music from the Motion Picture Pulp Fiction’, The Pulp Fiction Soundtrack is the essential accompaniment to the 1994 Tarantino film.
Here’s a preview:
A Pulp Fiction Collector’s Edition Soundtrack is available, which contains a few extra songs, including the excellent Strawberry Letter #23 by Brothers Johnson. However, this is on the Jackie Brown Soundtrack anyway. The Collector’s edition also contains a second cd that has a 16 minute interview with Quentin Tarantino. On it he talks about how he chooses music for his films and is quite an interesting listen for fans. This is the edition I personally own, but I have only listened to the interview a couple of times, and the additional songs, while enjoyable, are not essential to the Pulp Fiction experience in my opinion.
Pulp Fiction: Music From The Motion Picture Track Listing:
1. Pumpkin and Honey Bunny (dialogue)/Misirlou – Tim Roth, Amanda Plummer/Dick Dale & His Del-Tones – 2:27
2. Royale with Cheese (dialogue) – Tarantino Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta – 1:42
3. Jungle Boogie – Kool & the Gang – 3:05
4. Let’s Stay Together – Al Green – 3:15
5. Bustin’ Surfboards – The Tornadoes – 2:26
6. Lonesome Town – Ricky Nelson – 2:13
7. Son of a Preacher Man – Dusty Springfield – 2:25
8. Zed’s Dead, Baby (dialogue)/Bullwinkle Part II – Maria de Medeiros, Bruce Willis/The Centurions – 2:39
9. Jackrabbit Slim’s Twist Contest (dialogue)/You Never Can Tell – Berry Jerome Patrick Hoban, Uma Thurman/Chuck Berry – 3:12
10. Girl, You’ll Be a Woman Soon – Urge Overkill – 3:09
11. If Love Is a Red Dress (Hang Me in Rags) – Maria McKee – 4:55
12. Bring Out the Gimp (dialogue)/Comanche – Duane Whitaker, Peter Green/The Revels 2:10
13. Flowers on the Wall – The Statler Brothers – 2:23
14. Personality Goes a Long Way (dialogue) – Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta – 1:00
15. Surf Rider – The Lively Ones – 3:18
16. Ezekiel 25:17 (dialogue) – Samuel L. Jackson – 0:51